- one 14 oz package of dried red beans
- 1 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- Rinse beans, then soak overnight covered in water.
- Drain beans and discard soaking water. Cover beans with fresh water and stir in the sugar.
- Simmer over low heat (or cook on low in slow cooker) for 3-4 hours, or until beans are soft and the mixture is thick.
- (optional) Let mixture cool, then transfer to a blender or food processor to puree. Add more sugar if needed, to taste.
- If the mixture is too runny, return to low heat in a saucepan and cook until the moisture cooks off and the mixture thickens to the desired consistency.
- Store in jars or containers in the refrigerator, or freeze.